Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Penn State Scandal: Disappointment

By Semperpapa

It sure is a disappointment for me to see that an institution I have always considered upstanding is really everything but.
The facade was impressive: a reputable school with a great football history, with a coach that had spent over four decades forming young men into productive members of society, even by just playing a game.

I have always like Penn State, and especially coach Joe Paterno. Not sure why, as I have absolutely no connection with the institution. I liked the fact that the team's jerseys did not have names, emphasizing the team effort more than the individual. Maybe the fact that coach Paterno's last name reminded me of southern Italy, where I am from.

At the beginning of College Footbal season, I found myself following the Nittany Lions of Joe Paterno, and hoping for their success.
The developments of the last couple of weeks have generated disappointment in me, as some ugly revelations have definitely tainted my opinion of Penn State.
And if the disappointment is there for me, I can only imagine what it must be for those who actually have direct involvement with the school: alumni, current students, parents, supporters.
In their case, maybe betrayal may be the better choice of words.

Should Paterno be held responsible for the alleged criminal actions of Sandusky? Probably not, but there is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.
In the case of Paterno, it looks like he may have followed the letter of the law by reporting the alleged transgressions to the athletic director, who in turn may have attempted to sandbag the whole thing. But then there is the spirit of the law, or more accurately, the right thing to be done.

I asked myself what my actions would have been in Paterno's shoes, and in a situation like the one that appears to have been taking place, I would have probably personally taken the scum bag to the cops by his testicles, dealing with the consequences afterward.
I don't care if the accusations were "alleged", but the piece of shit would have not been on my campus until fully and clearly exonerated in a court of law.

Instead, Joe Paterno seems to have preferred to go by the procedural approach and follow the complaint to the athletic director. Even as nothing happened, he appears to have opted for the "sweeping under the rug" of the whole thing.
The students of Penn State actually rioted in the streets as the announcement of the firing of Joe Paterno hit the news, a testimony to the deep disappointment felt among that school's population.
No, it is not about football anymore, but about the downfall of an iconic figure that had signified so much for thousands of young people.

The reputation of Penn State, its administration, its athletic department and Joe Paterno is tarnished and will take a very long time for it to regain faith.
As for Sandusky, I think he should stop talking to the media and prepare for his day in court, because I don't think there are too many people who really care to hear his opinion these days.

Just my thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment