Thursday, October 25, 2012

Still Undecided?

By Semperpapa

With less that two weeks from the most important presidential election possibly in America history, I still hear of folks who are undecided about who they will be casting their ballots for.
You got to be kidding me, right?

We have had a year worth of campaigning, three presidential debates and one vice president debate, we have had an obscene amount of television ads and millions of words spoken and written about the candidates, and there are still people out there who are looking for that elusive, last minute reason for selecting who they would like to see leading our Nation in the next four years. This is incredible to me.

My question for these people would simple: is the future of our country so low in the priorities of your life that you have paid absolutely no attention to the events of the last four years?

In just about every recession of the last thirty years, I have been affected directly, mostly with layoffs. This time, by the grace of God, I was fortunate enough to be working for a company that did not lay off its employees and was only marginally affected by the economic downturn.
Sure the recession has hit me too: my home lost 30% of its value; my small business I was conducting on the side had to be folded; my expenses (fuel, groceries, utilities, etc.) skyrocketed and, as I live in California, my taxes have gone up. But at least I maintained my employment and that alone makes me thank the good Lord.

My point is that even as my employment status did not change, I still recognize and am terribly concerned about the employment status of every American. In times of struggle, the American people have historically banded together to face the problem and solved it. So it is not just about me and my personal conditions, but one has to look at the national situation and work to make the country whole again.

Why are there still undecided voters? Is it because they have been so involved in the reality shows or video games or whatever else that they have taken no interests in the events in our country for the last four years?
With all that America gives us, doesn't she deserve our attention when it comes to the future of upcoming generations and the survival of our Republic?

Anyone who follows my blog knows my political leaning, but what I am writing is not intended to be partisan. What I am trying to convey is the necessity of each one of us, American citizens, to become knowledgeable about the issues affecting our lives and to make educated decisions.

A week or so ago, reporters went around New York City asking folks in the street their opinion on the events in Libya. Some did not even know what the issue was. At another event, an Obama rally, the reporter asked some black attendees about the attacks in Benghazi and got a question back "who's Ben Ghazi?"
These things may make you smile at one level, but at a deeper level are highly disturbing, because they denote a clear apathy about the events that shape our history.

Ultimately, we get the country we deserve. Four years ago I got the country I did not want nor deserve, but I accepted it as the very expression of our political process, as the reaffirmation of the American principles that have shaped our history.

Still undecided? If that's the case, maybe these folks should stay away form the polls on November 6th and let those of us who love this country and care for its future do the deciding.

Just my thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment