Friday, March 18, 2011

What's the Plan for Libya?

By Semperpapa

So the United Nations approves a resolution to intervene in the Libyan civil war and help the rebels who are fighting Gheddafi. It took 31 days for the West to actually do anything of significance, but what does this all mean?
With the American Military assets in the Mediterranean and the complacency of some Arab states, no American boots should be needed in the effort to hit the Gheddafi forces and stop the slaughtering of the rebels and civilians in that country.

I am of the opinion that the move is too late, but I hope that my pessimism will be proven wrong. The hesitation of the West has allowed the dictator's forces to push the rebels all the way back to the city of Benghazi, which remains the last major center in the hands of the anti-government forces.

But again the question remains: what now?
If the resolution means that the forces of the West will be able to make incursions in Libyan air space and blast anything that even resembles a regular military vehicle, I am all for it.
If it means that the Forces of Good will seek and eliminate Gheddafi personally, and hopefully all the rest of his progeny, I am happy. And would be really nice if a "Daisy Cutter" would find its way to take out the vacationing PanAm 103 bomber in his villa and take him out permanently.
And if it means that the neighbouring Egypt will help the Libyan rebels with supplies and tactical help, you have my support.

What I don't want to see is a vacillating West, approaching this mission with the politically correct posturing that will only result in Gheddafi remaining in power and a high casualty number for the West.
All I hope for is that the mission is led by someone other than Obama. I am actually happy he is going on vacation again.

Just my thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. Have you been to Libya? For example if you have a conflict in your house, will you be happy if your neighbour will come to your house and start teach you how to behave. People lived normal life in Libiya, I can assure you cause I lived there.
    People have been brained washed again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous (wish you would give me a better name to address you by),
    No I have never lived in Libya and I therefore cannot speak from personal experience, but if the people of Libya lived normal lives, why then would they revolt against the regime?
    Every dictatorship is marked by folks who are happy about the current conditions, either because they are a tool of the regime or their personal circumstances somehow insulate them from the abuses of the regime.
    Personally, I only see that the people in that country are willing to go to extremes to maybe live an even more "normal" life.
    As far as wanting my neighbor to come to my house to solve my family issues, if I was consistently brutalizing my family and killing its members who disagree with me and so on, I would expect my neighbor to get involved to safeguard those who are affected by my irrationality. But maybe it is just me.
    Thanks for the post...
    Semperpapa, Out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing Obama is in charge... If it had been Bush we would sided only with those who promised the most oil contracts. I think doing what is right is better than doing what is profitable for corporations and the rich. Oh, and who led the charge that killed Osama?

    Are you a closet racist... If so come clean and be an honest person. It will set you free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally this comment actually showed up (technical issues with the blog) because I wanted to answer you, Derek.
    I wanted to start with your last statement.
    Very unique, dude, as if I never heard that before.
    It must be that you are an expert in being a closet "something", because you got me, man, I admit it: I am a discriminating person.
    What I discriminate is against morons and trolls like you, individuals who have absolutely no usefulness to our society. People like you, who are still so ignorant and backward that you are still trying the "racist" bullshit.
    You don't get it! that shit does not work on me any longer. You and your type has abused that term so much that it means nothing any more. So I guess I am a discriminating person against bottom feeders like you.
    Got no use for you. Go to the huffington post and have fun with the rest of the scum.

    ReplyDelete