Sunday, July 5, 2009

Reflections On The 4th Of July

Just one day after the celebrations of the birthday of the United States, I find myself reflecting on what I have witnessed and what I have read, clearly biased by my prospective as the father of a United States Marine getting ready to deploy to Afghanistan.

As America was preparing to celebrate this very important day in its history, the legacy of freedom that has been the hallmark of our country still continues a world away, in the deserts and cities of Iraq and especially in the desolation of Afghanistan. Thousands of Military personnel spent the 233rd birthday of their country facing a ruthless enemy bent on keeping millions of people in a state of oppression and servitude, driven by contorted religious bigotry and a thirst for absolute power. And for the millions who are in danger, the only hope for any kind of self determination is the presence of the American G.I.

Just as it happened in Europe in the 1940s and in Korea in the 1950s and in Vietnam in the 1960s and 70s, the American ideals, stained by the blood and sacrifice of the American solider, have always represented a ray of hope to the common person. And today it is no different, as the people of Iraq and Afghanistan are in the position of benefiting from the sacrifice of America. And all they have to do is realize the enormous gift that the sons and daughters of America are giving them.

On this 4th of July 2009, America is still the country of liberty, that beacon of freedom and hope toward which so many around the world turn to keep the flame of hope alive.
On a personal basis, since September 11, 2001 the meaning of Independence Day has taken a whole new form. It has ceased to be just another long weekend off from work, the opportunity for a party, the chance to indulge in hot dogs and beer drinking.
From the start of the Afghani campaign in 2001 to the invasion of Iraq and through all the ups and downs of those military involvements, I found myself reflecting more deeply on the true meaning of days like Independence Day, Memorial Day, Veterans’ Day.

So as most people were getting ready to fire up their bar-b-cues, as the parties started and as plans were being made to go watch the local display of fireworks, my thoughts were for the families of those who are in harm’s way.
The anxiety of insuring that enough food had been prepared or that there was enough to drink is as far from the anxiety felt by these families as their loved ones are physically on the ground in theater.
While most people were too busy in their party preparation to find the time to place Old Glory on their homes, these families made sure the Star and Stripes and the Blue Star and yellow ribbons are free of wrinkles on their front porches.

My thoughts concentrated on my friend Erin, whose husband Bill was getting ready to go on a mission in Afghanistan on Saturday.
My thoughts concentrated on the families of those Marines directly involved in the offensive currently taking place in Afghanistan. The anxiety palpable even in the impersonal MarineParents.com posting, as they await any communication from their sons, husbands, fathers to just say “I am doing fine”.

And my thoughts went to the family of Aaron Fairbairn, whose life was lost just yesterday, Independence Day, in eastern Afghanistan when the Taliban attacked the base Aaron was stationed, killing Aaron and another soldier. As posted on Michelle Malkin’s web site, Aaron’s step-father David put this on his twitter:

“On Independence Day, a few hours ago, they killed my son, Aaron in Afghanistan”

Any parent worst nightmare became a reality for the Masters and Fairbairn families and the family of the other soldier. The latest sacrifice to the altar of Freedom. The last measure of devotion to the greatest country in the world.

So as I sat on the fresh grass of the park near my home, waiting for the local firework display to begin, I watched my wife quietly interacting with my daughter, I watched my Marine son enjoying the cool summer breeze with his wife and my grandson. And I cringed as his deployment time is creeping closer.
I watched the small crowd gathered at the park around us, laughing and enjoying the evening. And my eyes begun to fill with tears as my thoughts went to the families of Aaron and of the other soldier and of the Marine who was killed on Friday. Surely a much different remembrance for them.

It is a goal in my life to insure that those who have and continue to sacrifice for this great Nation are always going to be remembered as the Heroes that have stepped up to the plate to insure that the ideals of the document signed on July 4th 1776 will remain alive and intact.

Just My Thoughts
Frank Semperpapa

1 comment:

  1. WOW Frank. I like what you write. PGR Brother Chris

    ReplyDelete