Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Justin's Memorial

I know that at times I may have been labeled as slightly excessive in my opinions, but something like what you are about to read is so disturbing to me that I believe capital punishment should be extended to the kind of animals, and I apologize to animals, that commit these types of crimes.

Recently, a small town in Michigan witnessed the second vandalism perpetrated against a memorial monument to a local Marine killed in Fallujah, Iraq in 2004. The first time, the memorial monument for LCpl Justin Ellsworth saw vandals ripping the flag off its pole and, after pouring gasoline on it, burnt it. This time the target of these sub-humans was the actual bronze memorial of boots/rifle/helmet that the town had built with funding from all the inhabitants of Mt. Pleasant. The scumbags stole the bronze rifle and Kevlar, defacing the symbol of appreciation and love of a whole community to a family that paid so much for the freedom that even the bastards enjoy every day.

Justin’s father, John Ellsworth, a staunch supporter of the US Military and vice-president of an organization called Military Families United, has been involved in the effort to lobby Washington DC to support and fund troops and their mission in Iraq and Afghanistan. After the second attack against Justin’s monument, John wrote the following letter:

For those of you that do not know me, my name is John Ellsworth and I am the Vice President of Families United. My son made the ultimate sacrifice for his country when he was killed while serving in Iraq in 2004. To honor my son, the citizens of the City of Mt. Pleasant, Michigan erected a monument in September of 2005. The citizens of Mt. Pleasant collected the funds and paid for the monument and the city provided the area near the Michigan Vietnam Memorial. In July of 2007, vandals tore down the flagpole and burned the American Flag over the monument.
This happened again on Monday night when hateful vandals tore apart my son’s monument and stole the bronze inverted rifle and Kevlar.
My family and I are absolutely devastated at this action and feel like we are mourning his loss all over again. These vandals have taken an honorable and elegant monument to our son and made it a focal point of their hatred and destruction. They have not only dishonored the memory of my son, but also the service and sacrifice of every American veteran that has risked their life in defense of this country.


John Ellsworth, Proud Father of LCPL Justin Ellsworth, KIA 11/13/04


As I struggle to keep my anger in check, my heart goes to John and the rest of Justin’s family. Funds are being collected to fix the memorial and surely that part of this disgrace will be fixed in short order. What I am hoping is that the perpetrators of this indecency will soon be pointed out to the authorities. Unfortunately, the punishment for such an offense is minimal, as compared to the pain and suffering their actions have caused the Ellsworth family.

In the meantime, I extend my gratitude to Justin and his family for the service and sacrifice they continue to make for this beautiful country of ours. The tribulations these people have and continue to endure are an inspiration to this American to try to earn the freedom they so dearly paid for.

And these are my thoughts!
Frank “Semperpapa”

No comments:

Post a Comment