Thursday, June 11, 2009

Travis Clark

All too often life has a way to slap us across the face when we feel that we have insurmountable obstacles in front of us. We get so involved in our everyday problems that we sometimes forget the blessings we have and concentrate on what we perceive as misfortunes.
Sure it is a common failure of human nature to always look at the grass across the fence and see it much greener than ours. Then God has His way to remind us of what is really important in one’s life.
Today is one of those days.

Travis Clark taught me a lesson today, and Travis is so powerful that he taught me the lesson from very far away.
Travis is an 11 year old little boy who passed away yesterday from a form of incurable brain tumor that took him on a voyage from being a bright young little boy to the waiting merciful hands of God in less than a year.
I personally do not know Travis, nor his parents or his sister, but I have been struck by their story as my wife had been Travis’ teacher on several occasions as a substitute teacher.

Below is the link to a FoxLA news report on Travis.

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/Make_A_Wish_Apollo_13_20090406

I am really happy that Travis had the opportunity to see his wish come true and that his family was able to witness their little boy excitement in meeting the Apollo 13 Mission Director.

It is amazing how someone we do not know can show us the way unknowingly, but Travis did just that, because, as a father, I can somewhat see myself in the place where his parents are. I can understand their belief that they would be more than happy to take on all the “problems” I may have if they could have their precious son back healthy.

This is a lesson we should all learn from. A lesson that I keep on being reminded of every funeral of a soldier I attend, every airplane arrival as that flag-draped coffin makes its final way home, or every time a Travis Clark crosses my life path.

God bless Travis Clark and his family. And thank you, Travis, for the invaluable lesson you taught me.


And these are my thoughts!
Frank “Semperpapa”

No comments:

Post a Comment