Friday, December 3, 2010

Why Are There Two Rules Of Law In America?

By Semperpapa

I understand that the ruling class of America may have some perks afforded to them by the celebrity status the have obtained, but in the eyes of the law, any preferential treatment is a bit much.

Yesterday, the House of Representatives formally censured ethics-impaired Charlie Rangel for his fiscal shenanigans. The House voted 333-79 to proceed with the “punishment” for the New York politician.

Rangel is one of the 23 House members to be subjected to censuring in the history of our Nation.

What does the “punishment” entails? In short, Rangel had to stand on the floor of the House while the Speaker read a motion of censure, basically an enumeration of his offenses, which was entered in the official records. That’s about it.

Without even beginning to consider what the punishment would be for a common mortal like me have I committed the same “indiscretions”, I am baffled by the difference in treatment for Wesley Snipes, who was ordered to begin his three year prison term for basically the same crime.

In my eyes, the offense committed by Wesley Snipes, while deserving of the punishment, is nowhere as grave as the one committed by Mr. Rangel, mostly because of Rangel’s ability, as chairman of the Weighs and Means Committee, to influence the lives of millions of Americans (for those who may not know, the Weighs and Means committee is in charge of assessing tax burdens for citizens).

His position as member and chairman of one of the most powerful committees in Washington, gave him the power to impose on all Americans fiscal rules that he was not willing to follow.

If one looks at the legal preferential treatment that celebrities receive (i.e. Lindsey Lohan), it is amply obvious that notoriety and financial value (i.e. professional athletes who get in trouble) qualifies certain people for a more lenient treatment from our judicial system.

I am not saying that I am actually shocked or that is a new revelation for me, only that when it comes to political figures with the power to affect the very lives of millions of American citizens, I not only expect a higher level of commitment to the laws of our land, but I demand it.

I would also like a Ferrari, a beach-front villa and peace in the Middle East.

Just my thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment