Thursday, December 2, 2010

You Could Not Scrape Camel Dung Off Their Boots

By Semperpapa

I really love when celebrities, in this case a sport figure, opens his or her mouth, removing any doubt in my mind of why I have so little use for the whole bunch.

Looks like it is the turn of NY Giants safety Antrel Rolle. The scenario is the reaction of the fans at the last NFL game the Giants played. When the people in the stands started to boo the NY players at the end of the first half, dissatisfied with the performance on the field of their “heroes”, Mr. Rolle took notice and was not happy with it.

Antrel, which must have been hated by his parents for sticking him with such an idiotic name in the first place, lashed out at the fans during his weekly radio show on WFAN (I know, I asked the same rhetorical question: why would a NFL player have a radio show, but I digress again).

This was one of his statements:

"They want to make it that guys paid this much money for a ticket, yeah, I understand that, I understand completely. We risk ourselves out there on the field each and every day also. When soldiers come home from Iraq you don't boo them. I look at it the same way. I take my job seriously,"

So, as I understand, Antrel is comparing himself to the selfless soldiers that volunteer to put their lives on the line so that Antrel can walk around making a pile of money, act like a thug and play sports.

Last time I checked, I could not find any Service member signing a contract with any branch of the Military that would give him or her $37 millions for the next five years.

Last time I checked, I saw no sergeant, or even a high ranking officer for that matter, living in some mansion and driving around in exotic expensive cars.

And yet, this overgrown bully has the audacity of comparing his contribution to American society with that of men and women that defend, at time at the cost of their very lives, his very right to be an idiot.

Look, I have no qualms with the whole sport superstar celebrity thing. I have no problem with someone achieving popularity and economic stability thanks to some talent that they may have.

But I do have a big problem with such spoiled douche bags having the impudence of placing themselves on the same level as someone who literally risks his or her life for something that is so much higher than themselves.

When Antrel finishes his “heroic feat” after few hours on few Sundays out of the year, he gets a nice massage, gets in his fancy car and drives to the comfort of his lavish mansion.

When a soldier finishes humping 80 lb rack while at any step facing the possibility of being blown away by an IED or shot by a sniper, he gets to go back to his dusty cot, in quarters shared with his brothers in arm, feasting on MREs and, if he is lucky, get few hours on uninterrupted sleep, unless some prick decides to send some mortar shells his way, only to wake up and do it all over again the next day.

I know right now you are thinking that I am not being very compassionate toward the hurt feeling of poor Antrel, but I failed to see any even remote resemblance between Antrel and the American soldier.

As a matter of fact, with all his money and fame, good old Antrel is not even good enough to scrape the camel dung off the bottom of the greenest Pfc.’s booth.

Call me crazy.

Just my thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. Great post. But then again, they always are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I did read this:

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/03/antrell-rolle-compares-booing-football-team-to-booing-soldiers-promptly-boos-himself-for-doing-it/

    Granted it's still the media, it seems like he at least knows he's a douche bag. That's better than most loud mouths these days! :)

    ReplyDelete