Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Apologies Accepted, GSgt. Ermey

By Semperpapa

Gunny Ermey, one of the most popular Marines of today, made the headlines when he had a political outburst at a Toys for Tots ceremony last month.
All the good Gunny said was what many Americans actually feel these days, but in his public figure capacity, he stirred a lot of controversy.

So, in order to appease the lunatics and continue to do his work in support of our Armed Forces, R. Lee Ermey issued an apology:

A Message from the Gunny

“I recently appeared at a fundraising event designed to collect toys and raise awareness for underprivileged children. While that event succeeded in raising thousands of dollars and hundreds of toys for this cause, I regret that I delivered a monologue that was inappropriately critical of the President. I was trying to be entertaining and simply went too far in this instance. I am mindful that my success as an entertainer relates in part to my experience in the Marine Corps, my devotion to its members, and the deep respect I have for members of all our Armed Forces. My comments should not be seen as reflecting on them or their views. I was just very disappointed in the amount of success that we were having raising toys and money for the underprivileged children this season. The poor economy has greatly hampered our efforts. My comments were misguided, and emotionally based, and for that I am truly sorry.”

Semper Fi

Some may be twitching their noses at the apology, maybe thinking that the Gunny sort of caved in the face of controversy, and some may feel that the apology is based on pressure that the insurance company Geico, for which Ermey is an advertisement icon, may have placed on him.

Personally, I accept the apology because in it, Gunny Ermey did not backtrack from what he said, just acknowledged that he should have not made that statement at that time.

All the Gunny expressed was his frustration with an economic situation that has created havoc nationwide. We are treated every day with the crap spewing out the garbage mouths of caricatures like Kathy Griffin and Rosie O'Donnell, and they are hailed as pure expressions of First Amendment rights, but when the direction is reversed, every liberal nutcase is ready to cry about how "offended" they are.
If the apology allows Ermey to continue his work and his efforts on behalf of the American Armed Forces, than I wholeheartedly "accept" his apology.

Just my thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment