Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Continuity

Every second of our life is a gift coming from God and a reminder of His infinite goodness. Fully aware of this conviction of mine, I regard myself as one of the most fortunate people on the face of the Earth as everyday of my life is an expression of the immense blessing God has been imparting me and my personal commitment to be deserving of such blessings. But there is no greater gift than that of life and even there God has been of incredible generosity to me and to my family.
I had plenty of time to reflect on this certainty of my life on May 4, 2009 as I waited for a little guy to make his entrance in my family’s life.
As the hours ticked, much praying was silently done asking God to safeguard the health of my daughter-in-law and of my grandson. Much reflection was done on the wonders of God’s work that enables a mother to create a life in the space of just nine months. I understand that nine months are a long time for the mother and the father as they wait for the little bundle, but in the context of history, it is but an infinitesimal amount of time. And yet, the first time I put my eyes on Noah Ryan, I felt an immediate connection. I tried to remember what my day was before he had been born, and it was difficult.
In front of my eyes was the true meaning of my life and the true meaning of what continuity means to me, as I watched my son holding his son just as I had held him, and saw that the proverbial torch had been passed.
All the happy moments and all the challenging ones that had faced me as my children were growing up, all the worrying and the hopes I held close to my heart all came together as I watched my son become a father.
Never a day goes by without my children making me feel proud of them and that is a debt of gratitude I owe to God, them and their mother.

Words escape me as I go through a myriad of emotions. Seeing a new life begin was a powerful reminder of what the real meaning of my life is, at least within the continuity of my family.
The beauty of Mother Nature as God’s creation manifested itself in all its power in the form of a young mother enduring the rigors of childbirth with the strength and immense love that only a mother can demonstrate in the process of creating a life.

Truly a humbling experience!

And these are my thoughts!
Frank “Semperpapa”

No comments:

Post a Comment