Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Emotions!

By Semperpapa

Today I had the chance to be present as my daughter-in-law Jessica had an ultrasound performed as her pregnancy continues. I had the chance to take my first look at my grandbaby.
The family has been talking a lot about today’s doctor visit as there was a great chance to be able to find out the gender of the little baby.

I was happy to be there with the two grandmas and holding my grandson Noah, because with my son Frank in Afghanistan, I felt like at that moment I was representing him. If telepathy really works, my son probably felt the emotions I felt, so strongly I thought of him during the process.

Prayers left my heart and went up to God as the technician covered all the important medical data the ultrasound is giving her, passing along the information to us.
And at every step a word of thanks was uttered: the shape of the head, perfect; the cranial development, perfect; the heart, strong; the spine, perfect.
She pointed out the eyes, the feet, the toes. Baby was moving the arms and at every step the technician continued to tell us that all looked really good and baby looked really healthy.

The complexity of the formation of a life inside a woman is such that absence of any kind of problem is always a gift. And we all got our gift today. I got to see my grandchild, my eyes glued to the monitors. The grandmas wooing almost in unison, even little Noah stopped fussing for a while, his attention captured by the strange images of his soon to be sibling.
And the miracle of life developing right there in front of my eyes, thinking of the fact that in few months I will be asking myself how could my life have any real meaning before this little bundle of joy had joined us in our journey.

I was not aware of the intense emotions grandchildren bring, only comparable to those generated by my own kids’ coming into the world, the images of that miraculous machine occupying my mind for the rest of the day, not allowing me to think of much else.

Oh yeah, by the way, Alexander Francis is doing just fine and moving along to join us in July.

And these are my thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!! Your expression through words actually paint the most amazing, crystal clear picture of Jessica's appointment....thank you for sharing these private family moments with those who care about you and your family. I am sure Frank is so proud that you were there for him....God continue to Bless your growing family!

    ReplyDelete