Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Thanksgiving Message

By Semperpapa

In the context of a lifetime, a year is but a small portion, but in the case of my personal life, one year makes a world of difference. Especially the past year.

When I came to the United States 31 years ago, I had to slowly learn the true significance of the holiday of Thanksgiving. As the years churned by, the real meaning of this celebration started to take form, especially following the birth of my children.

While my gratitude for the privilege of being an American is a daily mental presence, the solemnity of Thanksgiving Day is just a special occasion for me to really think about all that I have to say thanks for.

This year, the significance of the day is even more pronounced. And the difference 12 months have made in my life is impossible to underestimate.

A year ago, my son had just left for his deployment to Afghanistan. It was an especially hard time for my family and me personally, as not only for the first time since he was born he would not be with me on that day, but also there was the continuous mind-bending concern for his safety.

A year ago, I was thankful every single time I would hear that some form of communication had been received from that far away place.

Twelve months later, that nightmare is over and once again my Marine will be with us.

A year ago I was grandfather of one baby. Anyone who thinks that a person cannot love anybody as much as one’s own child does not have grandchildren, as the love I feel for my grandkids is nothing less.

Twelve months later, I have a second grandson. And suddenly life without this little guy is unthinkable.

A year ago, my daughter was stuck in a job she hated, frustrated and unhappy. I know her capabilities and work ethics, so seeing her so dissatisfied was painful.

Twelve months later, she is working for a much more professional organization, succeeding as she is capable to and, even with the normal ups and downs of the four letter word that is “work”, much more satisfied.

This year, my Thanksgiving Day is that much more important. I have my health, but most of all every member of my family is healthy.

I could never express enough thanks to my God for giving me the people in my life: my wife, my children, my son-in-law and my daughter-in-law and my two splendid grandsons. But He knows what is in my heart.

And I would be at great fault if I did not express my gratitude for living in this great Nation, protected so selflessly by the men and women in uniform. I thank God for them.

So Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. May you have a day of peace and love.

Just my thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment